Do you have questions about foot care? We have answers!

Do you have questions about foot injuries or the causes of foot pain? Dr. Stephanie Carollo provides the answers to frequently asked questions (FAQs) about foot injuries and foot care. If you would like to schedule an appointment to talk about your foot pain, call Dr. Stephanie Carollo’s office at (586) 298-1585.

General Questions

Q: What is a podiatrist?

A: A podiatrist is a doctor who specializes in foot and ankle care.  Most have had 11 years of education and training after high school, which is comprised of the following: after completing undergraduate college, we then attend 4 years of podiatric medical school, after which we receive a doctor of podiatric medicine (DPM) degree.  Following this, we enter what is called residency training.  Podiatric medicine and surgery residency programs typically consist of 3 years of hospital training and include rotations in the various medical specialties (such as internal medicine, emergency room medicine, anesthesiology, rheumatology, general surgery, radiology, psychology, infectious disease, etc.) with the majority of time spent in rotations focused on the medical and surgical treatment of foot and ankle problems.  In Michigan, podiatrists may perform surgery on any part of the foot and ankle.  In addition, as lower extremity specialists, we may be the first to diagnose a wide variety of medical conditions, including gout, vascular/circulation problems (which may include peripheral arterial disease or PAD), nerve problems/peripheral neuropathy, and blood clots/deep vein thrombosis (or DVT.)

Q: Why do my feet feel numb?

A: There are a number of reasons why your feet may feel numb.  You may have a condition called peripheral neuropathy, where the nerves in your feet are not functioning properly, and are therefore not giving your brain all of the information about your feet.  Neuropathy can have many different causes, including diabetes, vitamin deficiency, back problems, chemotherapy, autoimmune or inherited conditions, infection, excessive alcohol intake, and kidney, liver, or thyroid problems.  It is very important for anyone with numbness to carefully check his/her feet every day, as you might have a wound or other problem that you cannot feel because of the nerve problems.  Additionally, you should see a doctor to learn why the numbness is occurring, and the possible treatment options for your condition.  For more information about peripheral neuropathy, visit

Q: What was Sarah Jessica Parker told about high heels?

A: She was told by her podiatrist that working 18 hours days for 10 years in high heels have caused a problem.  Sarah Jessica Parker states,”I went to a foot doctor and he said, ‘Your foot does things it shouldn’t be able to do. That bone there. … You’ve created that bone. It doesn’t belong there.’ The moral of the story is, the chickens are coming home to roost. It’s sad, because my feet took me all over the world, but eventually they were like, ‘You know what, we are really tired, can you just stop — and don’t put cheap shoes on us?” Her quote was posted on Wonderwall on Friday, March 8, 2013.


Q: What causes pain in the ball of the foot?

A: There are many conditions that can cause pain in the ball of the foot.  These include capsulitis, metatarsalgia, stress fractures, hammertoes, neuromas, loss of fat padding that is supposed to be present in this area, calluses, fractures, or plantar warts.  In addition, people with a high arched foot often have more pressure on the ball of the foot which can lead to pain in this area, and this can also occur in people with feet that are too mobile, or who have with bones that are longer or shorter than the adjacent bones.

Q: Do I need podiatric care?

A: Most people suffer from some kind of foot disorder – from athlete’s foot or ingrown nails to bunions, hammertoes or corns. Tight-fitting or high-heeled shoes are often the culprit, but heredity, poor foot care, injuries, or medical conditions can also cause problems. Whatever the state of your feet, your podiatrist can treat your problem to restore your comfort and ease of movement.

Problems in your feet can lead to pain in your hips, knees and lower back. Take a moment to read this list of conditions or problems. If you find you might be suffering from one or more of these items, a visit to your podiatrist may be just the help your feet need.



  • High blood sugar (diabetes)
  • Cold or hot feet (circulatory problems)
  • Joint pain and swelling (arthritis or gout)
  • Nail Problems
  • Painful ingrown nails
  • Thickened nails that are difficult to trim
  • A black-and-blue nail from an injury




  • An unsightly bump (bunion) on the side of your foot by your big toe
  • Uncomfortably bent toes (hammertoes) that may rub on the tops of your shoes
  • A stiff joint in a toe
  • Pain in the bottom or back of your heel (possibly a heel spur)
  • A broken (fractured) bone in your foot




  • A wart on your foot
  • Thickened skin (callus or corn) between your toes or where your foot repeatedly rubs against your shoe
  • Discolored patches (fungal infection) on your foot or nail
  • Cracks, sores or ulcers on your foot




  • Muscle pain or tendinitis
  • Pain on the bottom of your feet (plantar fasciitis)
  • A twisted or sprained ankle
  • Arch Problems
  • Painful, tired flatfeet
  • Painful high arches


Nerve Conditions


  • Sharp pain in your toes (neuroma)
  • Sharp pain, numbness, or burning sensation in your toes when you’re at rest (neuropathy)


Q: Is there a foot doctor near me?

A: Most likely there is a foot doctor near you.  Many areas have foot and ankle specialists (doctors) called Podiatrists.  They are typically located in private practices and accept medical insurance, referrals from primary doctors and also see patients for urgent issues such as a broken foot or ankle.

Q: What areas in Macomb County and Oakland County does Dr. Carollo service?

A: Dr. Carollo’s office is located in Shelby Township, MI.  She services Macomb County and Oakland County residents in many townships and cities.  Some of these include Clinton Township, Shelby Township, Utica, Sterling Heights, Macomb Township, Troy, Rochester, Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Washington Township, Romeo and the surrounding areas.

Dr. Carollo is a top podiatrist (foot and ankle doctor/specialist) with years of experience and training from residency at the prestigious Cleveland Clinic Foundation.  Her methods and treatments contain the latest effective techniques so you can be back to normal in a shorter period of time.

Q: What type of shoes should I wear?

A:  This depends on many factors, some of which I have outlined here – What you need to know about shoes and foot health.